Become an instructor
Osteofit and Get Up & Go! instructors are registered through the BCRPA Fitness Registration Program and Canada Fitness and Education Service. Successful candidates are recognized as educated, well-trained individuals capable of providing a high quality of service.
Fitness instructors interested in becoming a certified Osteofit or Get Up & Go! instructor must complete the following:
- BCRPA / CFES registration in group fitness OR weight training OR personal training
- BCRPA third age designation or Older Adult Module
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Osteofit/Get Up & Go! Instructor Training Course
- Osteofit instructor competency evaluation (ICE) valid for 3 years
*keep copies of all your current certifications*
There is no additional cost to register as an Osteofit instructor. Your BCRPA / CFES fitness registration will include Osteofit designation provided all requirements have been met.
Download the appropriate Osteofit instructor application below
Form A - BCRPA Osteofit Registration cover letter
Form B - Resume and lesson plan
Lesson plan only
CFES Osteofit Application package
CFES Osteofit Instructor Competency Evaluation (ICE)
BCRPA Osteofit Instructor Competency Evaluation (ICE)
The Osteofit and Get Up & Go! instructor training course includes the following curriculum:
- Osteofit: Goals and Purpose
- Bones and Bone Health
- Managing Osteoporosis
- Osteofit Program Design
- Principles and Accommodations in Osteofit
- Structuring Osteofit Classes
- Get Up & Go!
The Osteofit and Get Up & Go!Instructor Training Course is being updated to a combination of online (learner led) and virtual (instructor led) learning. We hope to pilot this new training in 2023.
If you are interested in taking the course please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get your name on our waiting list.
Based on BC Women's guidelines and BCRPA standards, the Osteofit instructor is able to:
*Some participants may require medical clearance from a physician or nurse practitioner, those include patients over 69 years of age and/or who answer yes to any questions in the Par Q assessment. Osteofit instructors must ensure that they comply with the terms of such clearance as indicated by the medical practitioner regarding these individuals.
- Provide initial health screening.
- Design, modify and instruct safe, effective and appropriate fitness programs to meet the needs of apparently healthy individuals or special population who have received medical clearance* in a group fitness or weight room setting.
- Lead exercise sessions based on BC Women's guidelines and BCRPA standards.
- Incorporate the use of appropriate equipment based on specialized training and the needs of the participants.
- Ensure a safe exercise environment utilizing standard screening tools.
- Provide basic nutritional information based on Canada's Guide to Healthy Eating. Participants' requests for advanced nutritional information should be referred to a qualified nutrition professional.
- Obtain specialized training and consult with appropriate health care professionals to work with Special Populations (seniors, youth, persons with a disease condition or disorder).
- Act as a resource and refer to appropriate health care providers when dealing with participants who have conditions that the Osteofit instructor is not specifically accredited to address.
- Annual continuing education updates at minimal costs through workshops in all regions of the province
- Membership in an industry-standard not-for-profit organization (85% of fitness facilities require BCRPA registration as a standard of employment)
- Decreased risk of liability exposure. In a court of law, the parties involved are measured against the industry standard.
- $2 million liability insurance included in registration (discounted insurance program for personal trainers)
- Scope of practice and code of ethics
- Nationally recognized registration, transferable to other provinces (part of the National Fitness Leadership Alliance - NFLA)
- Recognition of expanded skills in working with the older population
- Connection to the fitness / health industry
- Discounts at various retail outlets