First Follow Up
At the first follow up clinic appointment, you will see the endocrinologist, nurse, dietitian, physiotherapist and social worker (if needed). This appointment will take a minimum of 90 minutes.
- Assesses health, pregnancy and diabetes management.
- Advises on diabetes management. This may include insulin if needed.
- Discusses exams or tests that may be required.
- Assesses blood sugars, ketones, weight and hunger.
- Changes are made to the your eating plan as needed.
- Answers any food related questions.
- Discusses insulin (if needed).
- Reviews blood glucose tesing.
- Teaches insulin (if needed)
- Answers any meter questions
- Reviews activity and exercise plan
- Suggests exercises that may prevent injury and/or -discomfort
Social Worker (if needed):
- Provides psychosocial assessment, counseling and support, focused on reason for referral
- Develop a safe pregnancy and parenting support plan with pregnant women and a bridge to community resources
- Collaborates with the health care team
Regular Follow Up clinic appointments
Your endocrinologist will advise you on how often you need to come to the clinic. Generally clinic visits are scheduled every 1 to 3 weeks. At these visits you will always see the endocrinologist and may also see other members of the diabetes team.