Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to allow for parking and registration. Parking on the lot is meter parking paid by exact change, credit card or pay by phone.
- Upon arriving at BC Women's Hospital (main entrance 93), report directly to the Diabetes Clinic desk # 7.
- You are welcome to bring a family member or friend with you.
- You can eat before your appointment and bring snacks with you.
- Any supplements, vitamins, and/or medications you are currently taking
- A food record of everything you ate and drank 2 days before your appointment
- If you have a glucose meter, please bring it along with your blood sugar records.
At your first appointment you will meet the nurse and dietitian. This appointment will take a
minimum of 2 hours.
The nurse will talk with you about diabetes in pregnancy. The information given will depend on the type of diabetes you have.
The dietitian will discuss with you a healthy diet for pregnancy that will also help you control your blood sugar and have a healthy weight gain.
Some things that will be discussed with you in the appointment:
- your role on the team
- what you need to know before you get pregnant (if you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes)
- the effect of pregnancy on blood sugar
- the risk to the baby from high blood sugar
- how to manage your condition - diet, activity, blood sugar testing, urine testing, and insulin (if needed).
You will have a chance to ask questions, and will receive written information so that you do not have to worry about remembering everything.