You may be a good candidate for a VBAC if:
• it has been at least 18 months since your c-section
• if you are pregnant with one baby only
• your baby is not larger than usual
• your c-section was done with a low side-to-side cut
• there were no complications during or after your c-section
• there are no complications with this pregnancy that would need a c-section; and
• you have not had previous uterine surgery or a previous uterine rupture.
If you have had more than one c-section birth, VBAC may still be an option but the risks are slightly higher. Review your medical history and other circumstances with your care provider to determine if VBAC is the best option for you and your baby.
If your care provider wants more information to help you decide, they can refer you to one of the pregnancy specialists (obstetricians) at BC Women’s Hospital.