Our booking clerk will contact the patient by phone to book an appointment. The clinic appointment may last up to 1-1.5 hours. Depending on the reason for referral, patients may meet with a geneticist only, a genetic counsellor only, or both. As our site is a teaching hospital, a learner may be involved.
Prior to your appointment, the patient may be asked to fill in a questionnaire and/or provide photos.
At theappointment, please check in with our receptionist and have ready:
- Care Card or other health care coverage and picture ID for the referred patient and each individual participating in the appointment
- Current address and phone numbers
- Names of the patient's family doctor and other health care professionals involved in care
- Emergency contact information
During the appointment, the medical and family history will be reviewed. A physical exam may be performed, depending on the reason for the clinic visit. We will discuss the possible causes of the patient or their child's condition and the options available for testing. If a diagnosis is made, we will make further recommendations and suggest resources. A summary letter will be sent to thehealth care providers.
If the appointment is by phone or telehealth, please ensure the patient is in a quiet and private place before starting the appointment.
For information on genetic testing, click here: https://www.cdc.gov/genomics/gtesting/genetic_testing.htm
If the consultation is abou.
- New Child assessment (link)
- New Adult Assessment (link)
- Previously Seen Child Assessment (link)
- Previously seen Adult Assessment (link)
If the consultation is about a concern in a family member(s), the patient should request the relative to sign the release of information form
. Ideally, they are provided to our program a t least 2 weeks prior to the appointment.