A SANE is a nurse who is specially trained to provide comprehensive and sensitive health care for survivors of sexual assault. BCIT Forensic Health Science offers an excellent training program for nurses, please contact them directly for details.
The SANE is trained in all aspects of the sexual assault examination, including provision of emotional support, physical assessment, documentation of injuries, forensic sample collection, provision of medications, writing a medical-legal report and testifying in court. The SANE works closely with community-based sexual assault centre staff, police, and emergency department staff.
training includes presentations from the RCMP Forensic Lab, Crown Counsel, and police, as well as current practice for health care and forensic examination of the sexual assault patient. It is open to both RNs and physicians.
The SAE Training Curriculum
- Philosophy of patient-centred care
- The social context of sexual assault
- Medical-legal options of care
- Obtaining informed consent
- Gathering patient medical and assault history
- Physical assessment
- Prophylactic medications for sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention
- Documentation of injuries
- Forensic sample collection
- Genital examination
- Drug-facilitated sexual assault
- Cultural diversity issues
- Writing a forensic report
- Testifying in court