In September 2020, all patients and family members who had a virtual care visit as an outpatient were invited to complete an online survey about their care experience.
16% of patients or family members completed the survey. The majority of people completing the survey self-identified as “white” when asked about their ethnicity. This survey was our first attempt and we will continue improve how we reach out so more patients and families may feel welcome to participate.
- virtual appointments started on time
- participants felt the virtual visits were private and secure
- participants liked communicating virtually with the care team:
- treated with respect
- able to talk about needs and concerns
- felt comfortable asking questions and got answers
- knew what to do for follow-up after the visit
- virtual visits made it easier to get care - less travel time, more convenient and less cost
- Skype was not as easy to use as Zoom
- options to see a care provider in person
- sometimes it was difficult to use the technology
- sometimes it was difficult to stay focused for the full appointment
- we could be more clear when asking permission to use technology for virtual appointments
- using Zoom for virtual appointments, in some cases a telephone call may be used
- creating resources to support people with using Zoom
- creating guidelines for care providers to work to understand needs and which type of appointment is best
- changing how permission to use technology for virtual appointments to be clearer
A telephone based service is available to speak with someone about how to connect to a Zoom virtual visit. This service is available Monday – Friday from 7 am – 5 pm by phoning 1-844-442-4433 (toll-free). The assistance of an interpreter is available. The number for the Citizen Support Desk is also included in the invitation to a Zoom virtual visit.
Zoom resources are available on the Office of Virtual Health website with information on how to prepare for and join a virtual visit.
To speak to someone about your experiences you are invited to reach out the Patient Experience Office by email email@example.com or telephone (toll-free) 1-844-874-3267.
To learn more about the Patient Experience office, click on web links below.