1How to make an appointment
When your referral form is submitted, you will be contacted to set up an appointment. The referral form
must be completed by a doctor, nurse practitioner, or midwife.
2Before your visit
Please bring any medications that you are currently taking to your appointment.
Read about What to Expect During Your First Visit to prepare for your appointment.
- Our clinic is a family-friendly space so feel free to bring your infant.
- Allow yourself adequate time to find parking
- You must be physically located in B.C. or we will not be able to have the appointment.
- If you are concerned that your mood, anxiety or ability to function are getting worse while you are waiting to be seen, your referring healthcare provider can call the clinic at (604) 875-2025.
3During your visit
Your first appointment will last approximately one to one and a half hours long.
At your first appointment, you will be see a psychiatrist, ideally in-person or virtually if necessary. Our psychiatrists are medical doctors specializing in the mental health of pregnant and postpartum women.
The psychiatrist will ask you many questions in order to understand what your main concerns are and how they can help you. These questions may include inquiries about:
- any previous mental health symptoms and/or diagnosis and any treatment you received
- any family history of mental illness
- your early childhood experiences
We will treat all your information as confidential and will only share information with your referring provider and other healthcare providers you may choose.
At the end of the appointment, you and the psychiatrist will discuss your situation and treatment options available to you, including psychological treatment and treatment with medications.
You may be referred for a follow-up appointment with the psychiatrist or another member of the multidisciplinary team. These may be limited to one to four appointments. There may also be opportunities to participate in group therapy or attend educational sessions with other parents.
4After your visit
If possible, we recommend that you allow yourself some time and space for self-care and processing after the appointment, before returning to work or other commitments.