||Home > Services > Pregnancy, Birth and Newborns
Pregnancy, Birth and Newborns
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre is one of Canada's largest maternity hospitals with approximately 7,000 babies born here each year. Many of our programs run in close partnership with our partners such as BC Children's Hospital and the Perinatal Services BC. BC Women's is the largest tertiary care hospital in Canada to be designated Baby-Friendly.
As one of Canada’s busiest maternity centres, BC Women's offers a range of services for women during and after pregnancy. The services offered include:
Medical Care Services
- Maternity Services- Care for high-risk pregnancies referred or transported to BC Women's from communities across the province.
- Primary care that provides maternity and family care for women during pregnancy
- Substance abuse and pregnancy
- Home care for women with pregnancy complications to help them avoid a long stay in hospital
- Intensive care for newborns in a neonatal nursery managed jointly with BC Children’s Hospital
- BC Newborn Screening Program: uses a simple blood test to identify babies who may have one of a number of treatable disorders.
- Having a baby - view this page for registration information, before and after birth care, prenatal classes and more.
- Fertility Care
- Prenatal Services
Abortion Services & Counselling