||Home > Services > Pregnancy, Birth and Newborns > Hospital Care > Postpartum Care
BC Women’s Postpartum Care program provides supportive care to mothers and newborns in a woman and family centred environment.
We care for you and your healthy newborn in the same room. Nurses emphasize education about newborn care, the normal postpartum changes in you and your newborn, and breastfeeding.
We discharge most women twelve to twenty-four hours after giving birth vaginally, and 48 hours after giving birth by Cesarean Section. Once you have given birth please talk to your Doctor or midwife about the plan for your discharge. The hospital liaison nurse will send your information to the health department in your community so a nurse can visit you at home.
We provide leadership in Maternal and Newborn Care in B.C. by participating in a variety of research activities. You may be approached to be involved in some of these important studies.
ServicesWe respect you and your family’s rights and beliefs and we support the choices you make about your health. We also are committed to postpartum care that is:
We provide two major services:
- Easy to obtain
- Of a high quality that is women and family centred,
- Supportive of pregnancy and birth as a healthy, life cycle event
- Based on best practice and evidence resulting from research
- Comprehensive and holistic in approach
- Managed in a way which makes the crossing point between providers appear to be seamless to women and families
- Delivered by multi-disciplinary care teams that are valued, respected and nurtured
- The Healthy Beginnings program creates a link between the hospital and the community. It involves your family and other health care providers in planning and transferring your care from BC Women’s’ to the community where your family lives in B.C. or Canada. A hospital liaison nurse will visit you before discharge from our hospital and she will give your information to the health department closest to your family’s home.
- Fir Square is a combined Care Unit that provides services for women using substances and infants exposed to these substances. A multidisciplinary team will help you and your baby detoxify and stabilize safely. We will provide care and support you throughout your perinatal period. We will also support you with other services in the hospital.
Contact UsAntepartum & Postpartum Program
4500 Oak Street