||Home > Services > Pregnancy, Birth and Newborns > Hospital Care > Criteria for Delivery
Criteria for delivering at BC Women's
Who can pre-register to deliver at BC Women’s?
- women who live in Vancouver
- women living outside of Vancouver who meet one of the following criteria:
- are experiencing high-risk pregnancies and need the specialized services of BC Women’s (This is decided by BC Women’s Pre-Registration Committee.)
- have previously had a baby at BC Women’s
- are long-term patients of the doctor/midwife who is going to deliver their baby at BC Women’s
Who cannot pre-register to deliver at BC Women’s?
- women who live outside Vancouver and who do not meet any of the criteria above
- women from other countries (non-Canadian residents) who are here short-term as visitors
Women with healthy pregnancies must be pre-registered before 32 weeks of pregnancy.
Why are there criteria for delivering at BC Women’s?BC Women’s wants all women to have access to safe, high-quality care. However, more and more babies are being born at BC Women’s, and we are concerned this may make it harder for us to continue to give safe, high-quality care.
Our hospital has two main purposes:
- to provide care for women living in Vancouver
- to provide care for women from anywhere across British Columbia who are having serious problems during their pregnancy
To continue to provide safe care, we need to redirect women with low-risk pregnancies who live outside of Vancouver to our partner hospitals in the Lower Mainland area.If you think you are eligible, read more about planning ahead & registering. Need information about medical coverage for your delivery?