Since 1997, the provincial outreach program has supported communities across BC to improve health services for women impacted by abuse and to develop integrated and coordinated multi-sectoral responses between health, mental health, addictions, justice, social and community services and advocates. The Woman Abuse Response Program is recognized as the provincial training program in woman abuse for the health care sector. We provide education and training to health care providers and others working with women who may be impacted by abuse. Our training can range from brief presentations to multi-sectoral community workshops to in-depth training programs. Training is offered throughout B.C.
Other program activities include research; consultation; program development and the development of resource materials related to practices, policies and guidelines to respond to the health and social impacts of violence against women.
"As guardians of women's health, we owe it to the women of this world to make violence against them unacceptable not only because of the physical damage it does but also, and perhaps even more so, because of the pyschological scars it leaves."
- World Health Organization, 2002
- To provide education and training to health care providers and others working with women who may be impacted by abuse
- To ensure women impacted by abuse have access to sensitive and informed care within their own community.
- To support the development of sustainable hospital- and community-based health responses to women throughout B.C. impacted by violence and abuse
- To promote coordination and partnerships between health, social, mental health and addictions, justice and anti-violence services
GoalOur goal is to help communities develop a response to the issue of violence against women and women’s health.
We use a collaborative approach that:
- represents women’s preferences for care, and
- brings health, women’s advocacy, mental health and addictions, social and justice agencies together in the planning and development process.
Our TeamOur team has expertise and experience in women’s health, research, advocacy and safety needs. This experience has given us the tools to support the development of collaborative and integrated community and health responses to the needs of woman experiencing abuse.
We look forward to providing whatever resources or training your community or health agency will find most useful in your work.
Contact the Woman Abuse Response Program at (604) 875-3717 or join our mailing list to receive workshop and project updates: sign me up!